Just the thought of nuclear weapons is more than enough to cause massive hysteria. It is just horrifying to think how countries of the world fight over territory and governance and use nuclear weapons to show who would come up victorious and dominant.
The Start of a New World
This is the exact reason why on the 7th of July, 2017, the United Nations began to adopt the Treaty on Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
In this historic treaty, it is aiming to ban nuclear weapons and all other forms of activities that are related to it. However, the nuclear ban is just the initial step. Because living in a world free from nuclear weapons, it is everyone’s effort.
For several decades, people are in bout against the usage of nuclear weapons. In fact, in 2010, a number of states start to formally recognize that these nuclear weapons are posing great risk to mankind. Thus, the treaty created in 2017 that was adopted by the UN.
What’s Allowed and Not?
Under the Treaty, these are the things that states can and can’t do:
- Use or threaten to utilize nuclear weapons
- Test or develop
- Possess nuclear weapons and;
- Asisst others to do any of the above
- Offer assistance to victims of testing and use
- Remediate contaminated environments
- Remove foreign nuclear weapons from its territory and;
- Elminate nuclear weapon program